Saturday, August 3, 2013

Tables: Part 1

I refinished my great aunt's telephone table a few seasons ago, and though it is still serving the purpose of yellow in my life, it was long before the time I've spent in a woodshop. My currently convenient  knowledge of dry times paired with clear coat sanding might have prevented the chipping. Still thinking about coating the pulls with tiny broken abalone shells. Look at my shark!

From old scrap particle board (from an old crappy job) came my new favorite table. I've always been partial to the corner table with rounded front. It may not have been the best move to make an outdoor table with less than real wood (I do know better), but I just wanted to put it to decent use, and employed a generous amount of sealant; at least the legs are real. Needing to fill the space on my porch, I forfeited the learning process of continual legs (through tiers) for time. One summer later it looks naturally distressed, reminds me of the Greek flag, and holds my rubber tree plant perfectly.


This small fold-up is my most recent assignment. A very thrifty find from my new favorite antique shop in Annapolis. Several coats of a light and dark blue mixture, while sanding in between the stages for a galactic, layered result. Now I have to decide if a mosaic of foreign coins will still look good lacquered onto the top, (a few beautiful ones from a friend's African journey pictured).
Pete, following his greatest love The Flower.
And by the way.. notice these strange and lovely little cicada soaps, a gift from my aunt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment